Android will be complicated. There are lots of completely different variations, and plenty of of them are nonetheless operating on units as we speak. Keeping up with the newest model could be a problem, however fret not—we’ve got you lined.
Major Android variations are usually launched as soon as per 12 months (although it wasn’t at all times like this), with month-to-month safety updates launched in between. Occasionally, Google additionally releases level updates (.1, .2, and so forth.), although these usually come with out regularity. Oftentimes, extra vital updates that aren’t fairly as vital as full model releases warrant some extent replace—like the replace from Android 8.0 to Android 8.1, for instance.
Alongside each model of Android is a code identify, which many individuals use as a substitute of the model quantity. Each one is called after a dessert or another kind of confection, which is extra for enjoyable than anything.
We thought it becoming to offer a quick rundown of every Android model on the accompanying code identify and launch date. You know, for completeness.
- Android 1.5, Cupcake: April 27, 2009
- Android 1.6, Donut: September 15, 2009
- Android 2.0-2.1, Eclair: October 26, 2009 (preliminary launch)
- Android 2.2-2.2.3, Froyo: May 20, 2010 (preliminary launch)
- Android 2.3-2.3.7, Gingerbread: December 6, 2010 (preliminary launch)
- Android 3.0-3.2.6, Honeycomb: February 22, 2011 (preliminary launch)
- Android 4.0-4.0.4, Ice Cream Sandwich: October 18, 2011 (preliminary launch)
- Android 4.1-4.3.1, Jelly Bean: July 9, 2012 (preliminary launch)
- Android 4.4-4.4.4, KitKat: October 31, 2013 (preliminary launch)
- Android 5.0-5.1.1, Lollipop: November 12, 2014 (preliminary launch)
- Android 6.0-6.0.1, Marshmallow: October 5, 2015 (preliminary launch)
- Android 7.0-7.1.2, Nougat: August 22, 2016 (preliminary launch)
- Android 8.0-8.1, Oreo: August 21, 2017 (preliminary launch)
- Android 9.0, Pie: August 6, 2018
- Android 10.0: September 3, 2019
- Android 11.0: September 8, 2020
- Android 12.0: October 19, 2021
As you’ll be able to see, the replace system was with none kind of regularity early on, however the Ice Cream Sandwich period began the yearly OS model replace schedule.
Just a few different enjoyable notes:
- Honeycomb was the solely tablet-specific model of Android, and it ran alongside the Gingerbread construct for telephones. The separate cellphone and pill OSes have been then mixed beginning with Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Ice Cream Sandwich was arguably the most dramatic replace to Android up to now. It not solely mixed the pill and cellphone variations of the OS, however utterly overhauled the feel and look of the system.
- Google initially launched developer-focused Nexus units to focus on every Android model’s energy. This finally advanced into the consumer-focused Pixel system line we’ve got as we speak.
- Android KitKat marked the first time Google teamed up with a business producer for an Android launch. They did it once more for Android Oreo.
The preliminary model of Android 12.0 was launched on October 19, 2021, on Google’s Pixel smartphones. It can also be arriving on Samsung Galaxy, OnePlus, Oppo, Realme, Tecno, Vivo, Xiaomi, and different units later this 12 months.
Unlike early variations of Android, this model doesn’t have a cute dessert identify—or another sort of identify past the model quantity. It’s simply “Android 12.” Google nonetheless plans to make use of dessert names internally for growth builds. For instance, Android 12 was code-named “Snow Cone.”
As with Android 11 earlier than it, Android 12 features a quantity of new user-facing adjustments and options. Most outstanding is a brand new design language known as Material You, redesigned widgets, a Privacy dashboard, and extra.
Here’s the enjoyable half about Android: how you discover out even the easiest data varies relying not solely on what model of Android your cellphone is operating, but in addition on who manufactured the system.
But we’ll preserve it so simple as doable right here. Go forward and open your cellphone’s setting menu by knocking down the notification shade (a few times, relying on the producer) after which tapping the gear icon.
From there, scroll to the very backside of the menu and faucet the “About Phone” entry (it might additionally learn “About Device”). If your cellphone doesn’t have this feature, it’s most likely operating Oreo, which acquired a fairly dramatic Settings overhaul. In that case, search for the “System” possibility.
There needs to be an entry for Android Version—once more, relying on the system and Android model, it might be completely different. On Oreo, you could find the model information below the “System Update” part.
The brief reply can also be an unlucky one: you may not have the ability to.
Android updates are first dealt with by the producer of your cellphone—so Samsung is accountable for its updates, LG handles updating its cellphone, and so forth. The solely updates dealt with by Google itself are for Pixel and Nexus units.
To see if there’s an replace obtainable to your system, head into Settings > System > System Update (or comparable). Again, this can be in a unique place relying in your cellphone—Samsung places the System Updates possibility in the root of the Settings menu (Settings > Software Update > Download and Install), for instance.
Tapping this feature will test for an replace on the system, however there’s an excellent likelihood it received’t discover something. As quickly as an replace is offered to your cellphone, it usually notifies you of that reality and prompts you to obtain and set up it proper then.
The solely surefire technique to be sure to’ll get the newest model of Android is to purchase from the Pixel line. Google updates these telephones instantly, they usually’re usually updated with the newest main model and safety patches.