This story was initially printed and final up to date .
There are a number of further options and tweaks in Chrome OS 91 that aren’t but a part of the default expertise. They’re doubtless not steady sufficient for everybody whereas they’re nonetheless in improvement. Google tucked a few of these experimental options behind a web page — and you can allow them proper now. Activate these switches, or “flags,” by typing chrome://flags in Chrome’s URL bar and hitting enter. Here’s a listing of low-risk flags we have examined that we suggest making an attempt out.
New flags to try on Chrome OS 91
Adjustments to our really useful Chrome flags listing:
- chrome://flags/#enable-notification-indicator (default)
- chrome://flags/#enable-desktop-pwas-attention-badging-cros (default)
- chrome://flags/#ash-enable-pip-rounded-corners (expired)
- chrome://flags/#global-media-controls-picture-in-picture (merged into #global-media-controls-modern-ui)
There are extra flags we suggest under, together with particulars that designate what every flag does.
Enhance Linux (Beta)
Linux (Beta) operates in a container beneath Chrome OS, giving you entry to an intensive collection of Linux apps like Inkscape, Audacity, and Steam. The next flag will assist enhance the Linux expertise.
- Unable to play video games on your Chromebook due to the irritating cursor? Allow this Chrome flag to permit Linux functions to request the mouse pointer, crucial when taking part in Linux video games on Chrome OS.
Chrome OS UI tweaks
Wish to toggle on some new flags that convey beauty modifications to the Chrome OS UI? This flag will spherical corners and improve its appears.
- Google is testing a refreshed media controls UI that adapts to the video thumbnail’s main colours. To make its design much less drab on Chrome and Chrome OS, allow the trendy UI flag.
New media controls UI on the Chrome OS shelf.
Present the date on the Chrome OS system tray.
- Google is experimenting with a devoted emoji picker for Chrome OS that truly is not irritating to make use of with a mouse. You may also seek for emoji utilizing the big search bar — a performance lacking from the previous implementation. To make choosing emoji much less annoying, allow this Chrome flag.
The experimental emoji picker in Chrome OS 91.
- It is irritating to search out out about your digital pen’s battery is low when you least anticipate it. To maintain monitor of its battery, you can allow this Chrome flag. Its battery stage will exhibit up in your stylus settings, however your mileage might differ relying on your pen.
Digital pen’s battery within the stylus instruments
Enhance productiveness in Chrome OS
Chrome OS has a number of helpful hidden tips up its sleeves to reinforce your productiveness.
- We have all made that dreaded mistake of deleting the fallacious file by chance. By default, Chromebooks does not present a method to restore the file or folder you eliminated. Allow this Chrome flag so as to add a trash folder to the file supervisor, which capabilities just like the ever-iconic Recycle Bin discovered on Home windows.
The trash folder within the Chrome OS file supervisor.
- PWAs are inching a step nearer to feeling native with app shortcuts. Whereas the function grew to become accessible for Chrome and Edge final yr, it lacked assist for Chrome OS. Allow this Chrome flag to get PWA app shortcuts for Chromebooks.
App shortcuts for Twitter on Chrome OS.
- At the moment, the Chrome OS shell runs within the browser, which may add litter to your Chrome tabs. Allow this Chrome flag to run it as a tabbed system net app.
Chrome OS shell operating in a tabbed system net app.
- The scan app is a good way to digitize your bodily paperwork. Enabling this Chrome flag will enable you to annotate your scanned papers rapidly by opening the Media app.
- Google is working so as to add a clipboard to the Chrome OS digital keyboard, serving to you preserve monitor of textual content of photos you’ve copied. Allow this function to get the clipboard supervisor into the digital keyboard.
Chrome OS digital keyboard positive aspects a helpful clipboard supervisor.
- Your Chromebook offers you totally different choices for connecting to the online, however not each community supplies limitless information entry. Chrome OS used to let you specify a rate-limited community, but it surely went away as a consequence of pending points. Allow this Chrome flag to convey the toggle again.
- Shifting apps to totally different pages within the Chrome OS launcher feels slippery and unpolished. To enhance the launcher’s usability, Google is working on a brand new paging UI, making it simple to see the place your app icons are going when transferring them round. Allow this Chrome flag to see a few of its enhancements to the launcher.
Launcher app paging makes dragging apps to totally different pages much less irritating.
Chrome productiveness enhancements
Google Chrome is of course the tightly built-in default net browser in Chrome OS. Here’s a listing of flags that improve the online searching expertise.
- Sharing a block of textual content you’ve discovered on-line is a problem, particularly if it is arduous to search out on a very lengthy webpage. By enabling this flag, you can create a hyperlink that takes you on to that textual content. Spotlight a collection of phrases, right-click, and choose “Copy link to highlight.”
- Permission requests for issues like notifications might be intrusive and distracting. Allow this Chrome flag to activate a extra contemporary, much less annoying permission immediate.
Permission requests are rather a lot much less annoying with the brand new design.
- Google introduced Dwell Caption for Chrome OS 90, which generates real-time captions with accuracy. The function is slowly making its method to customers, but when you do not need to wait, allow this Chrome flag. To transcribe audio, click on “Manage accessibility features” in Chrome OS settings, choose Captions, then toggle on Dwell Caption. English is the one language supported for now. If it complains that it will possibly’t obtain speech records, you’ll must disable chrome://flags/#enable-accessibility-live-caption-soda. This should make it work — at the price of decreased transcribing accuracy.
Dwell Caption for Chromebooks transcribes audio in real-time — and it really works offline, too.
- If you have a variety of tabs open, it is typically tough to tell apart between them. Allow this flag to point out a preview of the online web page when hovering your cursor over a Chrome tab, which is helpful for rapidly discovering tabs.
Hovering your cursor over your Chrome tab will exhibit a preview of that tab.
- Chrome OS launches PWAs right into a single app window, which is annoying if you need to be productive. Allow this flag so as to add Chrome’s tab strip to PWAs to assist velocity up your workflow with a number of Chrome tabs.
Tabbed PWAs in Chrome OS makes it simpler to multitask.
- At the moment, launching a brand new tab in a PWA will create a brand new Chrome occasion, breaking your focus. Allow this Chrome flag to repair hyperlinks in PWAs.
- Want a sure PWA to launch after clicking on a hyperlink? Enabling this Chrome flag will enable you to choose launching a PWA from your Chromebook.
- When hovering a cursor over hyperlinks, Chrome shows a URL on the underside left — even net apps. If you’d moderately this not be the case in order that net apps look extra like native ones, allow this Chrome flag.
- If you handle your Google Account usually, allow this Chrome flag to place a handy shortcut to your Google account settings on the Chrome toolbar.
Avatar toolbar button in Chrome supplies quick access to your Google account.
Enhance scrolling in Chrome
Does scrolling really feel tough when searching by way of webpages utilizing Chrome? Because of Microsoft Edge builders, the scrolling expertise will likely be a lot smoother with these flags enabled.
- For the following step in porting Microsoft Edge’s scrolling enhancements into Chrome, the Edge builders introduce percent-based mouse scrolling. This method fixes a difficulty the place free-floating scroll wheels (like on a Logitech MX Grasp) wouldn’t appropriately scroll. Allow it to enhance the free-floating scroll on Chrome OS.
Get higher Chromebook efficiency
Working with a gradual machine is irritating, particularly when the battery doesn’t final very lengthy. One among your Chromebook’s strengths is its light-weight nature, making the system really feel extra agile than most. There are just a few flags that would velocity up your Chromebook, however they could introduce safety points.
- Chrome OS disabled hyperthreading on just a few Intel-based Chromebooks due to an MDS vulnerability with the CPU. Verify Cog to see if it disabled just a few of its cores. If the efficiency loss from the deactivated cores is simply too important for your use-case, allow the flag to get the cores again – with warning.
- Latest Spectre variant 2 mitigations from Intel cut back the prospect of your Chromebook being exploited by malicious actors. Nevertheless, they may trigger important efficiency slowdowns on your machine. Deciding between velocity or safety is not simple, but when you want higher CPU efficiency, you can disable this Chrome flag — with warning.
Enhance Chrome’s efficiency
The Chrome net browser is agile and sturdy, however some individuals complain about their Chromebook’s efficiency. These units of flags should barely enhance Chrome’s efficiency.
- Beforehand, Chrome caches media content material to disk throughout acquisition and playback. Retaining the disk energetic will increase energy consumption and might forestall particular lower-power modes from being engaged. Allow this Chrome flag to forestall caching sure media content material to disk to enhance battery life barely.
- Chromebooks with low RAM can run into efficiency hitches with a number of Chrome tabs opened in tab communities. Allow this Chrome flag to sleep tabs collapsed inside a tab group, decreasing reminiscence utilization.
That is about all of the helpful flags in Chrome OS 91 that we suggest making an attempt. I can’t await these options to roll out to everybody, and I am excited to see Chrome OS develop even additional within the coming weeks and months.